Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Candlemas

                                             


Rev. Molly F. James, PhD

DFMS Noonday Prayer via Zoom 

Feast of the Presentation and Candlemas

Psalm 84; Malachi 3:1-4; Luke 2:22-40

May God’s Word be spoken. May God’s Word be heard. May that point us to the living Word who is Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 

Today is the Feast of the Presentation also known as Candlemas. It is a centerpiece of this Epiphany season, where we celebrate the way the truth about who Jesus is revealed to the world. The infant Jesus is brought to the Temple and his status as the Messiah, the Holy One of God, the Son of God, is recognized by the prophets Simeon and Anna. It is a day that has often been marked by candlelight processions, hence the name Candlemas. It is a day that continues the beautiful and important theme of the Christmas and Epiphany seasons. The light is coming into the world. 

Indeed it is. There is light. There is hope. In declining numbers of virus cases. In more vaccines getting to those who need them. In the resiliency and adaptability of children. In their smiles and their laughter. In community. In shared gifts. There is light and hope in each other. Ah, there it is. The all important reminder that in this season we do not just celebrate the light coming into the world as something that we watch happen. We are not mere spectators. We are participants. We can ensure that the beautiful, holy light of which God is the source is made more and more visible in our world. 


This theme of light is such an important one in our faith in this time, particularly as we seek to repent of and transform the systemic realities of racism and injustice in our society and our Church. I recently read the book, Rebirthing God, by John Philip Newell. In it he tells a story from his own ministry that I have found particularly inspiring and thought provoking as I reflect on this theme of light.

He writes: “Many years ago I was delivering a talk in Ottawa, Ontario, on some of the main themes of the prologue to St. John’s Gospel, and especially the words “the Light that enlightens every person coming into the world” (John 1:9, adapted). In attendance that evening was a Canadian Mohawk elder. He had been invited to be there to make observations about the parallels between his First Nations spirituality and the spirituality of the Celtic world. At the end of my talk he stood with tears in his eyes and said, “As I have been listening to these themes, I have been wondering where I would be tonight. I have been wondering where my people would be tonight. And I have been wondering where we would be as a Western world tonight if the mission that had come to us from Europe centuries ago had come expecting to find light in us.” We cannot undo the tragic wrongs that have been done in the name of Christianity to the First Nations people of Canada and to the indigenous peoples of many nations throughout the world. We cannot undo the unspeakable acts of cruelty and arrogance, perhaps unparalleled in the history of world religion, annihilating and conquering in the name of the truly humble one, Jesus. We can, however, be part of a new beginning. We can allow the true essence of our Christian heritage to be born anew.”  [p. 67-8]


As a white person whose ancestors have been in this country since before the American Revolution, this quote brings me up short. It calls me to account. It reminds me of how much deep, important, challenging work there is to do. And this quote also fills me with hope. Because it reminds me that we do in fact have the power to change things. We are not condemned to repeat the sins of the past. 


There is hope on a global level. There is hope on an individual level. The Mohawk elder asks, “What if they had come expecting to find light in us?” Ah. It is not just about looking for the light. It is not just about waiting to see if we might find it. It is about expecting the light. I don’t know about you, but the emphasis on expecting invites me to reorient my perspective. It invites me to see the world differently. I am not just wondering if I will find light. I am expecting to find light. That means I am seeking out and looking for all that is good and holy even in the midst of the most challenging, frustrating or heart wrenching circumstances. That means I am seeking out and looking for the face of God in everyone I meet. That means I am expecting to find grace and joy each day. 


So on this feast day, as we celebrate God’s light coming into the world, I invite you to reorient yourself to the light. I invite you to seek it out in the midst of daily life. And I invite you to expect to find it everywhere. No doubt we will be surprised by what we find. Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment